“I feel like I LOOK like I’ve aged 10 years.”
That’s what I told my OBGYN when I went to see her after having my 4th and final baby at 41-years-old.
“Your skin is dehydrated . . . from birth and all the breastfeeding,” she said.
“Of course,” I thought and let out a sigh of relief. As someone who’s often been told I look about 5-10 years younger than I actually am I was pretty disappointed that I was finally “looking my age.” As a pre/postnatal exercise specialist, I should have known I was dehydrated, but sometimes when you’re in the thick of it yourself it’s hard to see what’s really going on, right?
After this realization I went home and finally purchased the Beautycounter Countertime Collection that I’d been putting off purchasing; I had heard that it was the best clean beauty regimen for aging dehydrated skin but had been skeptical. Thanks to my investment, I proved my skepticism wrong, and my skin is now looking better than it has in a long time. I’d always made the excuse that I didn’t have time to do a detailed skin regimen; what I didn’t realize is like anything else, once you become efficient at it, it takes less than 10 minutes. Moreover, the time and money is worth it because the results have been life-changing. Kind of like exercise, right? You put in the time – you get the results. Shocker. 😉
Since switching almost all of my skin care products over to Beautycounter, I’ve been asked more than ever about what skin care I’m using. So I’m putting it all here – an easy reference tool for me to share. You can read HERE about just one of the reasons I believe so much in the mission of Beautycounter, but mostly I use it because I know ALL the products are clean and safe for pregnancy, breastfeeding, and beyond, including my kids. Skim through to find what you’re looking for. Feel free to leave any questions in the comments or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, and if you want to see any of my skin care routine in action, check out my Instagram Beautycounter Highlight.
MY MORNING SKIN CARE ROUTINE
1. I always start with a cleanser, but I tend to switch it up a bit . . .
If I’m showering, I will put on start with the Countercontrol Clear Pore Cleanser. It’s one of Beautycounter’s best sellers. It exfoliates without stripping the skin of moisture. As someone who’s always had skin on the more sensitive side, I like that it leaves my skin feeling refreshed without any irritation or dryness. I love the light citrus scent it has too.
In the morning or night, if I’m not showering, I start with the Lipid Defense Control Cleanser from the Countertime Collection. It’s lightweight and removes makeup and impurities without stripping essential lipids from the skin. If you decide on this product I recommend considering the entire Countertime Collection to get more bang for your buck.
A few times a week I mix in the Counter+ Lotus Glow Cleansing Balm. It’s one of the first Beautycounter products I ever bought and just feels luxurious not to mention super hydrating. You can even use it as an overnight mask.
2. In place of a toner I use Countertime Mineral Boost Hydrating Essence from the Countertime Collection, which is lightweight but very nourishing. According to Beautycounter, it’s milky moisturizing essence is like a toner, but more beneficial since it lends vital nutrients to the skin’s moisture barrier—instantly boosting hydration and radiance. Interesting to note on the clean beauty front – Beautycounter took two of the most powerhouse plant-derived ingredients available and created a scientific breakthrough that they call Retinatural Complex. “Bakuchiol has been shown to provide skin-care results that are comparable to retinol—without harmful side effects such as skin irritation and increased sun sensitivity—and Swiss Alpine rose boosts the skin’s antioxidant defense.”
3. The next few products I switch up a lot – mostly the order but sometimes I’ll just pick and choose a few or just use one, depending on time and how my skin looks and feels.
Countertime Tripeptide Radiance Serum: “This transformative rejuvenating treatment visibly increases skin firmness and elasticity, while reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.” If that description doesn’t explain why I’m using it, then you’re under 35-years-old. But for real, if I could go back and talk to my 30-something-year-old self, I’d say, “Start using this serum NOW!” Needless to say, I put this on most mornings, making sure I deeply massage it around my eyes, forehead, and even down into my neck. Remember you can save by purchasing the entire Countertime Collection HERE.
In the morning I usually pick two of the following oiIs to put on after the Countertime Tripeptide Radiance Serum:
Counter+ No. 1 Brightening Facial Oil: This oil is an award-winning facial oil for Beautycounter that features a proprietary blend of oils, plus vitamin C, to leave skin looking radiant and hydrated. I used to put this on every morning until I bought the Counter+ All Bright C Serum (see below). Now I switch up between the two or sometimes I’ll put Counter+ All Bright C Serum on in the morning and add a little of Counter+ No. 1 Brightening Facial Oil at night (I don’t think you really need both.) Counter+ No. 2 Plumping Facial Oil: I’m most self conscious about my new wrinkles, especially around my eyebrows, so I use this almost every morning and evening. Since I don’t Botox, this is what I use to help firm, nourish, and hydrate my trouble spots in hopes of keeping it looking youthful.
Counter+ No. 3 Balancing Facial Oil: This facial oil helps restore calm, clarity, and balance to skin, so I dab this on when I see or feel any breakouts coming on or just feel like my skin is feeling out of sorts.
Counter+ All Bright C Serum: This is one of Beautycounter’s newest products. I sometimes put this on instead of the Countertime Tripeptide Radiance Serum, especially if I’ve showered in the middle of the day. Otherwise, I put it on in addtion to and after any oils I’ve added and before the skin cream. It is a blend of two forms of vitamin C which instantly brightens the skin and helps reduce the appearance of existing dark spots and protects against new ones. Ultimately, it promotes an even skin tone and defends your skin against environmental stressors. I love it’s yellow color and light smell from the turmeric root extract.
4. Sometime before or after the combination of serums and oils, I dab on the Countertime Ultra Renewal Eye Cream underneath and around my aging eyes. It contains a combination of Beautycounter’s plant-derived Retinatural Complex and Persian silk tree extract, which reduces the appearance of under-eye shadows and crow’s feet for a smooth, firmed look. It’s also been shown to reduce under-eye puffiness. Remember, Retinatural Complex is Beautycounter’s name for the combination of two of the most powerhouse plant-derived ingredients – Bakuchiol, which has been shown to provide skin-care results that are comparable to retinol but without the harmful side effects such as skin irritation and increased sun sensitivity, along with Swiss Alpine rose, which boosts the skin’s antioxidant defense.
5. In the morning, I finish up with the Countertime Antioxidant Soft Cream. It also has the Retinatural Complex, along with Nasturtium flowers extract, which works together to plumb and firm the skin while boosting hydration- all of things I need!
I know this probably sounds like a lot. I think if I’d read this it would to me too and probably is one of the reasons I had never done all of this until about a year ago. Now it’s simply part of my necessary morning routine and only takes me about 5 minutes. I wish I could go back and tell my 30-something self to just give it a try.
MY EVENING SKIN CARE ROUTINE
Okay, this will be quick because there are only a few additions.
Occasionally (a few times a month), I’ll put on the Counter+ Charcoal Facial Mask.
I leave it on for about 10 minutes. The charcoal helps purify and balance the skin without drying it out. It helps smooth and minimize pores, so if you’re missing out on facials give this mask a try.
1. Mask or no mask I pick one of the cleansing options I mentioned in my morning routine followed up by Countertime Mineral Boost Hydrating Essence.
2. Then I put on the Counter+ Overnight Resurfacing Peel. I have a friend who calls this “Botox in a bottle.” You leave this on overnight and it boosts clarity without irritation or over-drying. Dead cells are cleared away so that you wake up with a brighter and healthier skin. If you’re going to try out any of Beautycounter’s products, this is the one I would start with
3. I once again dab on the Countertime Ultra Renewal Eye Cream followed by any of the oils I feel like my skin needs.
4. In the evening I always finish with the Countertime Tetapreptide Supreme Cream, which is rich and deeply hydrating and supports elasticity and visibly firms while minimizing the look of fine lines and wrinkles.
THROUGHOUT THE DAY:
Finally, throughout the day, whenever I think of it, I use the following:
1. Lip conditioner: Regardless of the weather, my lips get soooo dry. My favorite is the Peppermint Balm but a lot of people like the Calendula Balm more. I recommend getting the set so that you have two and can decide which one you like best. I have one basically everywhere – car, purse, bathroom drawer, etc. Unlike a lot of lip conditioners I’ve tried, Beautycounter’s heals my lips in just a few days without feeling like I have to constantly reapply it. And if you prefer your lip conditioner in stick form, check out this Pout Perfect Lip Care Set where you get lip polish, lip conditioner (balm) and gloss at a discounted price.
2. Citrus Mimosa Hand Wash & Hand Cream Set: We go to Chicago every winter for Christmas and when I came back this winter my hands were insanely dry. I couldn’t find anything to help until I ordered this set. (You can buy them individually as well.) I also recommend the Body Lotion in Citrus Mimosa.
3. Throughout the day, whenever I think of it, I’ll spray on some Counter+ Brightening Facial Mist as a refresher for extra hydration or to set makeup. You currently get this mist for free when you sign up to be a Band of Beauty member with Beautycounter...
When you sign up for $29 you get the following (which is soooooo worth it if start buying Beautycounter products on the regular)
- Free Shipping on Qualifying Orders of $100+
- 10% Product Credit on Applicable Orders
- A welcome gift (currently the Counter+ Brightening Facial Mist) when you spend $50+ on products when enrolling
- Members exclusive offers
Please let me know if you have questions about anything. You can leave them in the comments or email email@example.com.