I mean seriously, who doesn’t? Men love boobs . . . women love boobs . . . and most of all, babies love boobs. After all, they were made just for them, right?
Before having my first son, I hadn’t had “big boobs” since I was ten. What? Let me clarify . . . I went through puberty before most of my friends, so at the time, I had what was considered “big boobs.” I actually remember coming home from school and crying to my mom because I thought that my boobs would just keep growing as I got older. If only I had looked at my own mother and realized what my future held (sorry, Mom). Needless to say, they stopped growing, along with the rest of my body, and I pretty much have been the same size from ten on . . . until I had a baby.
When I had my first son, I didn’t really believe, like most first time moms, that my breasts would actually get as big as they did. But of course, they did and surprisingly this time (twenty-plus years later), I loved it. For someone who usually barely fits into a 32B, I throughly enjoyed my new double D’s. When I slowly lost them, after 13 months of nursing, I joked with my friends that I couldn’t wait to be pregnant again and get them back. If you keep reading, I’ll tell you why.
I just had my second son and am once again, sitting here with knockers as big as his head, and all the same feelings have come back. All jokes aside, I think nursing is such an amazing privilege to have as a mom. So in honor of World Breastfeeding Week ending and National Breastfeeding Month continuing, I share with you my Top 5 Reasons I LOVE Breastfeeding.
My Top 5 Reasons I Love Breastfeeding
1. Healthy Baby Whether you choose to or not, or are successful at it or not, there is no denying the amazing health benefits nursing gives your baby. The list goes on and on, but the mere fact that breast milk contains immunities to diseases and helps develop my baby’s immune system is enough for me.
2. Superhero Status Some of you have already heard me joke about how I now feel like a superhero, but being the sole provider of milk and nutrients to my baby makes me feel like I have a superhero power that no one else does . . . because I do! I think most mothers will tell you that the connection between mother and baby in those moments of feeding is like no other. It will make you smile, laugh, and/or cry . . . maybe all three at the same time. Hey, superheroes cry too.
3. Sooooo Convenient Going out or traveling with a newborn is complicated enough with all the STUFF you have to bring with you. I love that all I need to do is grab my nursing cover (if even that sometimes) and go. No bottle prep or making sure I have enough milk with me. I save my extra milk for my husband or a babysitter. As long as you don’t care about nursing in public, breastfeeding, can save you a ton of time and energy.
4. Even a T-shirt Looks Hot Like I said in my intro, due to hereditary and probably my line of work, my breasts, when I’m not nursing, are mostly non-existent. My weekly pushups and presses are probably the only thing that usually help me get by, so nursing is not only great for my son, but it also makes my clothes look sooo much better.
5. Dance Like a Video Vixen When I danced for the New Jersey Nets (now the Brooklyn Nets) my coach used to “joke” with me about getting a boob job. I remember questioning his intentions at the time and knowing in my heart that he probably wasn’t kidding but laughed it off anyways (and added a couple extra pads to my already padded push-up bra). Now that I have my baby-induced boob job, I totally see what he means. As I danced to “Work Bitch” in my friend Ginger’s cardio hip hop class last week, I checked myself out as she asked us to subtly pop our chest. Thanks to my girls, a movement so little never looked so good.
So there it is, folks – why I love my boobs and nursing. I totally get it’s not for everyone, but it is for me. It makes me feel balanced and whole, and I’m happy to be doing it again, for as long as my baby and I feel that it’s right.
If you love boobs and nursing too, please feel free to share why in the comments below!