Looking for a fun quick work out before heading out to celebrate like the Irish do?
I’m sure there is no guessing that I am an Irish girl, so I created these St. Patty’s Day inspired exercises. Hope you can share them with your favorite Irish friends, be safe and have fun! Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
Irish Jig Warm Up:
- Warm up by crossing the right foot over the left thigh (aim for above the knee). Try to keep hips and shoulders square while doing this. ** Dynamically stretches the hip and works the inner thigh.
- Lift the left foot up to the right glut. Think of trying to kick your butt and at the same time keep your knees relatively in line with each other. **Dynamically stretches the quad and works the hamstring.
Irish Jig Cardio Challenge:
If the Irish Jig Warm Up feels good, pick up your pace for 20-30 seconds. Make sure to repeat both the Warm Up and Cardio Challenge on the other leg. ** Great cardiovascular exercise as well as a nice dynamic stretch for legs and hips.
3 leaves are on most shamrocks (Unless you are lucky enough to find that four-leaf clover!) You will be shuffling in 3 different directions.
- Begin in a squat position. Stay low and shuffle feet to the right. Turn 90 degrees to your right and shuffle to your left. Shuffle back to your right.
- Continue to your left – shuffle left. Turn 90 degrees to your left and shuffle left. Shuffle back to your left.
- Repeat for 60 seconds. **Great cardiovascular exercise that works gluts, quads, & outer thighs.
Rotate out from the hips and think of lifting knees up to the torso. Gradually pick up pace for 30 seconds. **Great cardiovascular exercise & hip opener.
“Pot of Gold” Jumps:
- Prep with small jumps (like you are jumping rope), making sure to land ball of foot first, followed by the heel with soft knees.
- After 2-3 small prep jumps, lift both knees towards torso, pulling feet in and up. Repeat 4-6 times. **Great cardiovascular exercise. Works the core & inner thighs.
“Kiss Me, I’m Irish” Lunges:
- Step out into a lunge with the right leg.
- Push off the floor, and kiss your feet in the air, as you switch your legs to land with the left in front.
- From the left lunge push off again to kiss feet and switch. Repeat 6-8 times. ** Great cardiovascular exercise. Works legs, butt, and core.
“Good Luck” Horseshoe Abs:
- Begin flat on your back with your legs extended straight up from your hips. Upper bodys stays flat on the ground.
- Keeping your feet as close together as possible, carry legs on a diagonal.
- Draw a “horseshoe” from one corner, down and around to the corner, and then back to the other side. Keep core engaged and breathe! Repeat 8-10 times** Works abs, obliques, and inner thighs.
*** Repeat entire circuit 2-3 times through.