Not only is it Flab-Proof Friday, but it’s officially summer!! So head to the beach and Flab-Proof your weekend with my popular Beach Towel Workout. All you need is a towel (and some sunscreen of course!). If you have the opportunity to do the workout on sand, you’ll be even more challenged with the added resistance. The exercises with pictures are below or you can watch me demo the workout on NY1 (link to: ).
Perform Exercises 1-4 back-to-back followed by 1 minute of rest. Repeat 4X through. You can either add the Bonus into the workout (for a total of 5 exercises before resting) or do it at the very end for a grand finale core burn! Make sure to leave a comment as to which exercise is your favorite and why. Have a great weekend!
1) Tip Toe Runs (1 minute high intensity cardio): Place towel horizontally in front of you. Staying on toes, lead with right foot and run forward and back over the towel. Thirty seconds in, switch to lead with your left (works core, calves, quads and heart!!).
2) Moving Tree (1 minute low intensity recovery): Standing on one leg place opposite foot against shin or inner thigh (avoid the knee cap). Hold towel above head in each hand. Squeeze shoulder blades together to pull towel tight. Keeping core and gluts engaged to maintain balance, slowly tilt the body up and over to the right and return with control. 30 seconds in switch to the other side (works core, upper back and gluts).
3) Hippity Hop (1 minute high intensity cardio): Place your towel vertically in front of you. Keeping feet tight together, bend knees and swing arms back. Arms swing up as you hop over the towel making sure to land toe to heel with soft knees on the other side (works outer thighs, core and heart!).
4) Tricep Pulse (1 minute low intensity recovery): Hold towel with 2 hands behind your back. Hinge forward at the waist maintaining a nice flat back by squeezing the shoulder blades together. Squeeze arms tight to sides and lift towel up in little pulses (works triceps and back).
5) BONUS: Plank Tuck: Begin in Plank (the starting point of a push up) with the towel underneath your feet. Engage core and without lifting gluts too high pull towel and knees into chest (works core and shoulders – great overall body toner!).